Thursday 25 March 2010

The Living Dead Book Blog

Yesterday, news broke that George A. Romero's first novel, The Living Dead - which we'd all been hoping to get our grubby paws on in July - was to be delayed. An unfortunate development, perhaps, but given how long we've waited for the creator of the modern zombie to turn his attention to fiction, another few months are hardly going to do us any harm, and if the book's the better for it, I'm all for postponing its release.

In my heart of hearts, I don't know that The Living Dead can be as definitive a zombie novel as the trilogy of films comprising Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead has been in cinema, but giving Romero a wee while longer to polish his undead narrative can only be a good thing. Kudos, then, to all those at publisher Headline Books for their patience. Too often you see disappointing books and films and video games rushed out the door simply to meet unrealistic release dates when a little more time baking in the creative oven would have done them a world of good. I, for one, am glad that The Living Dead won't suffer from such short-sighted treatment.

And so, with The Living Dead delayed, the Headline Zombies' Living Dead Book blog is going on a short hiatus. I'm told it'll be "back with a bang," but let's not get ahead of ourselves - if you ask me, it's going out with one, too, courtesy of a short essay contributed by none other than yours truly.


I'll be reposting it here in a few, short days, but for the moment, the only way to read my controversy-courting opinion piece on how and why the undead have started running is by visiting the Living Dead Book blog.

What are you waiting for?

1 comment:

  1. Liked your post. Someday I hope to write a book where the royalties will pay for the copies I give away.
    :-)
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete